Monday, February 27, 2006

 

Christian Ethics...

...module is one that I suddenly have to do because of my transfer to Theology. It starts on Tuesday, so I picked up the course outline today. One particular part of the assessment captured my eye. We get to write a case study on divorce and remarriage/the 'War on Terror'/Assisted dying/Herceptin, through the medium of either an essay (bit dull, done enough of them), a newspaper article (hmm, not too bad, but still...) or a Sermon/talk (hell yes! and, you know, may come in useful some time...). *edit* We're having to do a dreadful IT module as part of the course. Now if I was some emotionless scientist (sorry Ronald, I don't mean you), who could barely talk to other human beings without refering to numbers (again, I don't mean you Ronald) in the "everything I know about people, I learnt from pens/computers/numbers/bacteria first" way, then I could understand the importance of more than basic IT. However. I am a Theologian and Anthropologist. I look at people, and abstract concepts. I can quote from texts that are thousands of years old in my essays. In the words of one fellow theologian "I'm going to be a preist, I won't even need to touch a computer if I can help it", and other arts diciplines are the same (although without the being a preist thing for most). Although, ironically, the preist-to-be in question is a blogger. Ahm. To cut a long story short, I can't see much use for anything more than basic IT, for humanities students (although there are cases where it may be needed I admit). To make passing the course depentand upon making a website about Stephan Fry seems pointless.
|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?